"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 81 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (147 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (198 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (179 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (479 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (315 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Messages
 Mercedes 300 SL gullwing replica/KIt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 14
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Speedster Motorcars

USA
47 Posts
Posted - August 30 2007 :  08:10:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have ended the first run of Gullwings to fill orders for the other cars we build. We have parts left from the first run which we will sell. Contact me at www.ron@speedstermotorcar.com with your parts needs, maybe we can help.

Ron Clark
Production Foreman
Speedster Motorcars
10990 49th St. N.
Clearwater, FL 33762Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - August 30 2007 :  10:41:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you really love the looks of a 300SLR then I suppose the Thoroughbred Kit is a starting point. There really aren't any other options. You have to keep in mind though that the drive train is a mustang II (can you say Pinto!). Yeah I suppose that you could upgrade all of the componants but the engine is 140 hp 302 Ford. The brakes are minimal. The springs, shocks, trans, differentials are all cheap economy versions.

Go to Top of Page

needamerc

Ireland
38 Posts
Posted - August 30 2007 :  11:07:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that very good info. I definitely don't needamustang.

Go to Top of Page

paul hollstein

Germany
37 Posts
Posted - October 01 2007 :  05:57:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if there is a Gullwing kit/parts supplier in the area of The Netherlands (Belgium-Germany-UK)
I have send email to Matt MAZZ, a Mexican/Spanish and a few other company's but no responce at all.
Are these guys for real??

two years ago i was in Germany (Essen Messe) and the Gullwing i have seen there was a replica but based on a VW Beetle chassis.... (Huh) no way!!!!

So if anyone can help me with some usefull tips or better some adress information.

Thanks

Frans van Aalst

phGo to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - November 03 2007 :  6:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody got any updates on there Gullwing builds? I have not done anything on mine, stated on a motorcycle project instead.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - November 06 2007 :  11:16:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a picture of Jerry's build. It doesn't look like a Gullwing in this picture.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - November 06 2007 :  11:18:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that's more like it!

Go to Top of Page

asif_w

37 Posts
Posted - November 11 2007 :  09:27:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

I have been reading this forum with great intrest. I have trawled through the net but can't find a replica manufacturer for a 300sl in the U.K, or a Pagoda replica. Is there any such manufacturer out there in the U.K? I have checked the other companies mentioned and all seem to be in the states or germany.

Any help would be greatley appreciated.

Thanks,

Asif

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - December 24 2007 :  07:24:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I haven't heard much on this post as of late.
Gil Lonecker has now built a turnkey which he sold to someone in Maine and also a 4th kit went to the mid-west. If anyone knows these guys get them in touch with me. Gil has also announced he is retiring and trying to sell his company.
The Mazza brothers are officially out of the buisness.The builder has taken back the molds for lack of payment.
Word is that the Gullwing replicas made by the Speedster group are not selling well. I think most agree that the problem is the departure from the oriinal lines as the fit and finish are first rate.

Go to Top of Page

johnm

USA
46 Posts
Posted - December 28 2007 :  11:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To "Gullwing" and all other interested parties:

M-Wing Motors is not out of business. I had attempted to contact palmyraer@aol.com directly but am getting a bounce back on the e-mail. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to send me @ info@mwingmotors.com.

We have been upfront throughout the forum posts and hope to have our first car completed in 2008. Yes, it has been a financial struggle, but we believe our final product will be worth the effort.

Gullwing, please send me an updated e-mail so we can communicate properly...thank you.

John

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - December 31 2007 :  08:01:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke to John Mazza of M-wing motors. They have had some quality control problems that they needed to solve before they could produce a consistently high quality machine up to their standards. They have solved their problem by contracting with a company with a long record of building high quality specialized Corvette bodies.
We also spoke at length regarding sources for the specialized Gullwing parts. Tony Ostermeir had the luxury of using mostly original Gullwing parts. As the cost of these part rose and the availability dwindled it forced him out of buisness. M-wing has been negotiating with the half dozen or so companies that manufacture parts. Hopefully this will spread the tooling costs out so that everyone benefits.

Go to Top of Page

Gullwing007

37 Posts
Posted - January 01 2008 :  07:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reading these forum pages with interest, mainly because I too, believe the gullwing is the most beautiful classic design. Had the pleasure of driving a high quality replica in Germany with everything MB parts including the leather. Several replicas were built as far back as '79. In Europe, this was the only way to get a GW as most of the originals were in the USA. The replica I drove was actually well received by MB-Germany. Will try to add my pix next time.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - January 01 2008 :  09:26:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no desire to put a Mercedes engine in my kit car so I have a hard time when I find that so many people will pay more for a replica Gullwing with a mediocre Mercedes motor. It would be one thing if it was a 6 cylinder Mercedes that was mounted at 45 degrees and some attemp was made to simulate the appearance of the original engine or a supercharged V-12 MB AMG motor. Most of the replicas used a fairly basic inexpensive straight 6 or V-8 with an automatic transmission which could never be confused with an orininal 300SL motor. Yet buyers will pay more for it. Go figure! I hear the same thing from the Cobra guys. You can build a replica Cobra with a 500+ HP aluminum Chevy 427 and the correct Cobra transmission yet it will not sell for as much as a replica Cobra with a plain vanilla 5.0 small block with "Cobra" valve covers and an automatic transmission. Human nature is strange sometimes.
I understand how a German living in Germany would prefer a MB because it is easier and cheaper to repair and get parts for but if you put a direct port fuel injected straight 6 BMW motor with a "MB" logo on it it would be just as easy to repair and it would actually have more similar technolgy but still it won't command as high a price.

Go to Top of Page

Alumreplicas

USA
38 Posts
Posted - January 14 2008 :  7:50:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gentlemen, there is an aluminum 300SL (GullWing) in the works and due sometime in late 2008 using a proprietary frame and very likely a modern MB engine and trive train. Expected retail is $190,000 let me know what you think about this. Consider that there are some used, well made fiber glass replicas available right now in the vicinity of $200K. What would you be looking for in this car at this price if you were shopping?

Please feel free to call me at 305-525-5636

Love your kids and everything else will fall into place!!Go to Top of Page

dukeofkastro

37 Posts
Posted - April 09 2008 :  2:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,
i am living in europe and i am very interested to buy a new or used gullwing. anyone knows a builder tht makes turnkeys?
thanks

Go to Top of Page

SpeedsterMotorcarSales

38 Posts
Posted - April 25 2008 :  2:19:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speedster Motorcars is once again in the hands of the original owner. Since we are going to concentrate on building our Boattail Speedsters and our Cord Speedsters, and for a lack of space in our new facility, we have decided to offer the Gullwing line as a package for sale. What we are offering is one completed Gullwing for reference, 2 incomplete bodies (painted, some parts), 2 raw fiberglass bodies, molds, jigs, tooling, vacuum molds, and our full gullwing parts inventory. If anyone is interested, please email me at jeff@speedstermotorcar.com or call me anytime at 727-584-3606 for more information. Thanks.

Jeff Akins
Speedster Motorcars
2320 10th St. SE
Largo, FL 33771
Phone: 727-584-3606
www.speedstermotorcar.comGo to Top of Page

jeep

USA
37 Posts
Posted - April 27 2008 :  05:09:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a finished 300 SL Replica for sale at a price you could not build it for ; pls check on eBay rightnow !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=ADME%3AL%3ALCA%3AUS%3A31&viewitem=&item=160234629982

Has a Chevrolet 350cu. , aut. Will burn rubber ! Kit was built by LoneStar out of Texas.

victorycars.comGo to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 08 2008 :  5:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I thought this thread needed some new pictures

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 08 2008 :  5:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shown is a Thunderbird SuperCoupe IRS unit installed in one of Gil Lonecker's frames. It uses a Ford 8.8 Trac-lock rear, the 1.75" Cobra axles and the 11.6 Ford Cobra rotors and calipers.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 29 2008 :  10:12:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/amcagreg/dash017.jpg
Greg's dash

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 29 2008 :  10:15:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/amcagreg/P1010040.jpg[/IMG]
Jerry's dash

Go to Top of Page

jonesharrison

37 Posts
Posted - October 16 2008 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI To all, I'm looking to buy a gullwing replica or kit which one is recommended! and are there any Aluminum bodies out there!
Im based in europe but have no problem with buying from the states and would like to use MB parts.

Jones

Go to Top of Page

SpeedsterMotorcarSales

38 Posts
Posted - March 20 2009 :  07:07:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have one Gullwing 'Kit' left for purchase. It is 75% complete. Painted PPG Brilliant Red. Has a full raw chassis (no suspension) that is designed for late model GM drivetrain and suspension but you can choose to add whatever drivetrain you like. The body is fully assembled, doors fitted and hung, deck lid fit and hung, as well as the hood. The doors are completely assembled with manual roll down windows, door latches and hardware. Glass is installed. The kit comes complete with a long list of parts to finish the car, from AC unit to fuse panel, from steering column to taillights, there is a lot there. If anyone is interested, please email me and I can provide photos and full parts list. Thanks. jeff@speedstermotorcar.com 727-584-3606

Go to Top of Page

n/a

37 Posts
Posted - April 20 2009 :  09:23:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello here
i am also a 300sl freak ,i am manufactoring 300sl wheels /rudge wheel
www.rudgewheel.com
also looking for any 300sl parts

Go to Top of Page

james

52 Posts
Posted - January 27 2010 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I´m looking for old pic´s of the Gull-Wing Shop in CA, Gardena.
I´ll be thankful if somebody can help me out or give me some advice.

Bye James.

Go to Top of Page

mercmatt

Australia
37 Posts
Posted - January 29 2010 :  6:57:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi guys
very keen to build a gullwing,,, who is still doing them and who can i trust with an accurate replica shell,,,
any help would be great

my merc my dreamGo to Top of Page

Folke

Sweden
40 Posts
Posted - April 05 2010 :  02:15:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hallo all Gullwing-builders,
The place to search for ANY part you might need for your replica is www.niemoeller.de/300SL/. It's located in Mannheim in Germany and they have absolutely everything but the prices are skyhigh and then some!

Go to Top of Page

jozzze2000

Slovenia
37 Posts
Posted - July 20 2010 :  01:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello!

I am Joze from Slovenia. I am gathering infos for making Mercedes 300SL replica.
I found out (on kitcars forum) that you were/are assembling your own replica.

Would you car to share some photos and details along with parts hunting about your project.

I tried to reach @gullwing does anybody know his email address.

Thanks, Joze

Go to Top of Page

jasonflord26

USA
37 Posts
Posted - July 21 2010 :  6:28:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is a picture of Jerry's build. It doesn't look like a Gullwing in this picture.

wow this one nasty engine works

Jason FlordGo to Top of Page

dan2

54 Posts
Posted - August 05 2011 :  1:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished my gullwing.has anybody else finished theirs.i posted pic. on flicker under gullwing01dont know how to post on forum.

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 14 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000