"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 48 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (159 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (209 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (189 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (491 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (324 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Messages
 Mercedes 300 SL gullwing replica/KIt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 14
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - June 12 2006 :  8:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lookin great

www.kitcar.wsGo to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - June 12 2006 :  9:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - June 12 2006 :  9:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - June 12 2006 :  9:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - June 12 2006 :  9:22:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
these pics are after i buffed it out today . and man does it look good, too bad it's only going to be used as a plug. it's super straight and all the curves are so beautifull. i really didn't appreciate it untill i buffed it and put it in the sun , it just looked so ***y. it was really worth the effort to go the extra mile, because they are all going to be this straight, and nobody will be able to say that i sold them a piece of garbage like some other kit manufactures do. and as for you liking the color kitcarguy, thanks, it was my own concoktion of colors

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - June 13 2006 :  09:35:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone explain to me the making of a plug process?

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - June 13 2006 :  12:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a plug is what you use to make a mold, so if your plug has a dent, wave, deep scratches, in other words whatever your plug looks like, your finished fiberglass body should look the same . so ,any part used in making a mold, is called a plug. whether it be a door , hood , etc.

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - June 13 2006 :  7:45:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, What would you make a plug out of, foam or fiberglass? How is it made? Anybody?

Go to Top of Page

Speedster Motorcars

USA
47 Posts
Posted - June 22 2006 :  07:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our company, Speedster Motorcars, is undertaking the development of a turnkey 300SL Gullwing Coupe. We are intending to debut the prototype in Montery, CA on August 18th and to produce three to four cars per month. We are a viable manufacturer of turnkey replicas as can be seen by viewing our website at speedstermotorcar.com.
The reason for this post is to see if there is an interest in the Gullwing in kit car form. Any comments or questions can be sent to ron@speedstermotorcar.com.

Thank you.

Ron Clark
Production Foreman
Speedster Motorcars
10990 49th St. N.
Clearwater, FL 33762Go to Top of Page

Crotty

USA
44 Posts
Posted - June 22 2006 :  12:38:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic news, Ron. You guys build great cars. I'm looking forward to seeing the prototype in Monterey. Hope you guys will get as close to the real thing as possible - with correct guages, trim and hardware. Best of luck!!

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 04 2006 :  09:32:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the focus of this page is Kit Cars I wanted to redirect the conversation a bit. Keep in mind that Ostermeir, Quint, Hooper, Manfred, the Mazzas and now Ron were building or attempting to build turnkey replicas. What we should be talking about is what do we enthusiasts who want to build our own kit versio, what do we do?

At the present time the only manufacturer who is willing to sell a body and frame is Gil Lonecker in Florida. So far he has sold three kits. Myself, Jay and Jerry. I bought my kit first so I an furthest along. My project and Jays have been slowed as we wait for out finances to catch up to our ambitions. Jerry on the other hand is the last one in but his financial situation has been such that he has been buying top drawer components and moving right along.

I made a list the other day of the approximate cost to build a kit car version of the replica. This isn't exactly what either of the three of us paid but what it would cost if we did it again knowing what we have learned. The total came to about $42,000. This figure estimates about $6,000-8,000 for the body and $6,000 for a frame. I estimated $5,000 for a paint job and $2,000 for the interior. There are some high cost items due to the fact that no one makes the parts and reconditioned 190SL parts are the only solution. The grill, front bumpers, headlights, tail lights, are such items.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

theboogers

37 Posts
Posted - July 29 2006 :  2:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
manfred- is that the company you work for in the latest road and track with the modern 300sl roadster? do you have pricing yet for rolling chassis to usa?

Go to Top of Page

james

52 Posts
Posted - August 27 2006 :  10:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Krazeyone,

could you please get in touch with me. I have few questons abaut your Kit. I send you twice an e-Mail, but you dind´t respond maybe you have a new e-Mail address...

Bye James.

Go to Top of Page

Electric_Lights

USA
37 Posts
Posted - August 28 2006 :  12:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thread bump!

I've been following this one for a while.

How did the unvieling at the Monterey Historics go?

And so on.Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - August 28 2006 :  7:42:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
james, i will answer your questions. Just wondering how speedster motorcars did at that show?????? i haven't gotten any e-mails or phone calls that they were there? just curious?

Go to Top of Page

Speedster Motorcars

USA
47 Posts
Posted - September 08 2006 :  1:55:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a quick post, our Gullwing replica missed Montery, but debued at the Auburn show last weekend. Photos of the first completed car are on our web site @ speedstermotorcar.com. This car is a prototype and is sold, but we expect to be in production by mid Oct. We are still contemplating offering the car in kit form so please contact me if interested. Ron Clark

Ron Clark
Production Foreman
Speedster Motorcars
10990 49th St. N.

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - September 17 2006 :  10:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
message goes to speedster motorcars, very nice car, just wanted to see some pics of the finished interior and dash? do you have any?

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - September 18 2006 :  08:55:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i saw the pics on your website, very nice representation of the components on the dash, i think it looks like a decent kit. i'm so happy that yours isn't all original parts, it is nice to see that with a little talent and knowhow you can get one of these cars together with what your budget allows. not to say that it still wasen't expensive to put together, but the fiberglass bumpers and little things like that can go a long way in saving money in a build. i don't think that it qualifies as a replica, my definition of a replica would be that it would take someone a few munites to tell weather or not it was the real thing. for me, the grant steering wheel would give it away. it is definately a car that appeals to the masses. and i'm sure we will meet one day and it will be a blast! i'm so glad to see thatsomeone else in the U.S. is working on this car, and actually building one, and puting thier money where thier mouth was, and not all smoke and mirrors like some other people in the kit car business trying to build the perfect replica. LOL! sincearely, Big Al and H.Q.

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - September 20 2006 :  7:39:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's nice to finally see a completed car on the market. I am getting tired of looking at pieces in my shop. Looks like a larger door frame maybe with opening windows?

Go to Top of Page

Speedster Motorcars

USA
47 Posts
Posted - September 21 2006 :  4:29:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words as regards the Gullwing. As I stated in the last post this car is a prototype and we are incorporating a number of improvements in the production version, i.e. chrome bumpers. Our aim is to offer a car representative of the original but with affordable components and ease of servicing. The car has been engineered to drive like a modern sports car and still have amenities like power steering, brakes, A/C, etc. It is our belief that these qualities, and not an exact duplication of the original, will sell the car. Lets face it, how many people know what a "real" Gullwing looks like anyway? Were still contemplating the possibility of selling the car in kit form as the build time on the prototype, after paint, was 6 1/2 days! It is simply a matter of finalizing the cost breakdown to see if it is feasable. Thanks, Ron Clark

Ron Clark
Production Foreman
Speedster Motorcars
10990 49th St. N.

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - October 01 2006 :  09:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any updates?

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - October 21 2006 :  6:56:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well my gullwing is still very much a work in progress. I started fitting the dash in this week. It actually begining to look like a car!

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - October 21 2006 :  7:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking good! I need to make some progress this winter. Just finished plasma cutting out the rear end three link brackets.

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - November 08 2006 :  8:24:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post started over 3 years ago! Anyone have any news? Mazza, Krazeyone, Manfred, Speedster???

Go to Top of Page

Speedster Motorcars

USA
47 Posts
Posted - November 14 2006 :  1:48:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are in production, with the first car due to be completed in two weeks. We will post photos of cars as they are finished, so log on to our web site periodically. The car is under the GW Coupe header. The prototype was tested heavily and then disassembled for inspection. Everything looks great and were very happy with the end result. The car is solid, quick, corners well, and stops like a true sports car. We will be hitting a number of shows in the next few months to debut the car, so again check the web site.

Ron Clark
Production Foreman
Speedster Motorcars
10990 49th St. N.

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - November 14 2006 :  7:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I have been following your posts and web site. Very exciting! I would like to see one up close should you be in a show in the California area.

Go to Top of Page

kitcar61

37 Posts
Posted - November 15 2006 :  09:57:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, Gullwing, the dash is coming together nicely. Are those instruments from Classic Gauges? They look like the set that my buddy has on his custom hot rod (black face with white numbers, though). Good luck and looking forward to seeing updated pix.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - December 04 2006 :  9:44:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are from Classic Guages. I could have bought some original VDO guages from a 190SL for a few hundred more but it is difficult to install and calibrate a cable drive speedo. The tachometer is even worse as it is difficult (expensive) to get a tach drive distributer especially for a modern engine. NAPA still sells VDO guage (ecept the clock) but the bezel is black, the needle is orange and the face has a different design. So by the time you disassemble, silkscreen repaint and re-chrome it you might just as well buy a diffent brand. I suppose if I was a purist I would silkscreen my guages. However I like the look and will simply be content to see the car run someday.

Go to Top of Page

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - December 06 2006 :  12:16:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone have any updates photos?

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - January 02 2007 :  08:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,

A belated but Happy New Year to you all.

Some of you already know my recent story due to private e-mail contact, but for those who don't - just a quick note to explain my absence from the forum for the latter part of 2006.

My Father [ 86 years old ] suffered a series of strokes during 2006, gradually more serious, until eventually he became hsopitalised for 4 months before Christmas and eventually lost his fight on November 30th.

As you might imagine, all my time was taken up with family matters and visiting my Father, so consequently all my personal work in Saxony had to take the back burner.

That is not to say that work has not continued at a fast pace in my absence - indeed 3 cars have now been sold and one of our Coupes made an appearance at the prestigious Goodwood Revival Race meeting at the end of the year. The car was DRIVEN from Bavaria NON -STOP [ apart from gas ] to Calais, and then on to Goodwood, where it received rave revues.

After a brief tour in the UK, it was driven back to Bavaria on another 1800 kms blast. I was able to put some 650 miles on the car during the tour of UK outlets, and it performed faultlessly and coped completely with modern traffic conditions. One "speeding" ticket for 125 mph was torn up by the officer concerned as he just happened to be a Gullwing fanatic!

I have a meeting with Company Principal Jurgen Mohr at the upcoming Race Car Show in Birmingham [ UK ] in 2 weeks time, and will be bringing myself up to speed with the project. I expect to be back in Saxony during Febuary to get behind the project again.

I thank all of you who made contact and for your kind words of condolance.

ATB

MAnfred

Manfred von HeydaGo to Top of Page

Topic is 14 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page