"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 77 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (115 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (168 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (150 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (442 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (284 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Messages
 Mercedes 300 SL gullwing replica/KIt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 14
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - February 04 2006 :  06:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you guys at M-Wing are almost there as you say. Perhaps you would be willing to tell us if you intend to create an accurate reproduction or simply a re-creation? Specifically, will the side glass be curved as in the original Gullwing or do you intend to use flat glass or Plexiglass? Will the vent window open and the side windows be reovable as in the original or have you decided it isn't necessary in an air conditioned car? Since you intend to use a V-8 will it have dual exhast or single like the original? Will the cowel duct and roof vent be functional as in the original or faux? Surely by this point you have decided. I can't imagine why you would not be willing to share these details with this forum. Yes, there is considerable interest in your Gullwing project. Many have tried to recreate these cars most have failed. What can you tell us that would make us want to hand you a $20,000 deposit?

Go to Top of Page

Matt_Mazza

47 Posts
Posted - February 05 2006 :  9:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Gullwing,

First things first: our overall design philosophy is to create a world-class replica (or re-creation if you prefer), not an accurate reproduction. We are keeping the timeless style of this car while updating the performance, reliability and comfort of this car. The car will look like the original from the outside and also from the passenger compartment (with some exceptions).

Now onto your specific questions:

Glass: all windows will be glass in the same shape as the original. The vent windows will be functional and the side glass will be removable. Air conditioning will be standard equipment for days when the fresh air is not enough.

Exhaust: Single exhaust is standard, dual exhaust will be available as an option.

Heating, ventilation and A/C: the cowl duct will be functional as a source of air for HVAC. The rear roof vents will appear to be open but sealed with plexiglass.

We are well aware of the companies that have failed and that is why we have taken our time to get it right. Our progress will be evident in the upcoming weeks, so stay tuned. Thanks again for you patience and interest.

- Matt

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - February 07 2006 :  11:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been reluctant to cut out the roof vents, hate to put a hole in the roof. Interesting idea about using plexiglass. I was thinking about cutting them out but building a fiberglass box to add depth without actually making them functional or open to the cabin.

Go to Top of Page

johnm

USA
46 Posts
Posted - February 08 2006 :  12:21:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, just to be clear....our cars will have the depth (or cavity) for the vents. We will actually have them open....but put plexiglass in if you choose to do so. Obviously if you want to run air conditioning you'll put the plexiglass in.

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - February 21 2006 :  4:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
where is this so-called gullwing replica, i think Matt is blowing smoke up everybodys poo-poo. his site has the same pics it did months ago. i'm not saying that your not trying Matt, but at least be honest. the only thing that you have is a body, GLASS, and a frame? i'd like to know what good is the glass if you can't open the doors. lol!

Go to Top of Page

johnm

USA
46 Posts
Posted - February 21 2006 :  4:43:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've been upfront throughout the process. Yes, it is taking longer than we expected, or wanted. If you'd like to discuss our project in detail I'd be glad to talk to you. You're free to come visit the facilities and see the progess for yourself, I look forward to meeting you.

John

Go to Top of Page

CustomVW

USA
41 Posts
Posted - April 06 2006 :  9:32:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone selling a partial or compete Gullwing I could buy today?

Go to Top of Page

james

52 Posts
Posted - April 09 2006 :  12:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody,

I heard that Tony Ostermeier passed away.
My thoughts are with his family, and everyone who knew him.
Thank you for the woderful 300 SL GW/Roadster replica.

Bye James.

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 11 2006 :  4:30:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cars are coming soon!

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 21 2006 :  07:15:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anybody interested in some pics of the car let me know. i can't figgure out how to get a pic on this page, driving me nuts! the body is in the final stages, and is almost ready for making new molds. i also have pics of the tubular frame. frame is derived from blueprints of actual gullwing frame
frame is designed to adapt any motor/trans combo, and front and rear suspension of your choice. and i know what the next question is, what about hardware????????? door hinges ,trunk hinge, hood hinge ,glass??? well, yes i have it all, no bull! no smoke and mirrors here. i'm going to sell a kit that will fit together and all parts will be available. and i will try to be ready for carlile kit car show next month. if there is any questions please e-mail me. i will be more than happy to answer any questions. or even if you want to come on down to check me out if you think i'm B.S., i will be even more happy to show you in person! thanks, Big Al
Go to Top of Page
enzo

Chile
40 Posts
Posted - April 23 2006 :  11:39:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everybody,
i´ve read this threads with great enthusiasm since i´m a mercedes fan and want to make a Gullwing Replica.

I´ll tell you a bit of myself, nowadays i own my family business in chile, south-america.
We´ve been making plastic toys for 40 years or so and i´m the third generation in the business, i have a complete factory with all processes to mould up plastic goods, also have the machines to make such moulds. for instance, i make the traffic lights of the streets of many cities in my country. In past years we´ve exporting to europe, the states and our goods sold well at toys´r´us many years.

Well, i´m telling this because i want to picture the technical skills of my company.
In this months i´ve decided to make a Gullwing Replica and therefore have seen and gathered all the info i can, of course my country is tiny but there is a huge amount of mercedes since the 50´s no gullwings thou. 2 of them were purchased recently by mercedes benz historical dealers in chile.
In my country you can find all the mechanic parts and overhaul them perfectly with reasonable expense, also due to the moulds workshop i can make a lot of metalic parts with accuracy, quality and rather unexpensively. The hand labour is quite skillfull and materials such as leather and fine woods are unexpensive.
In conclusion there are many things that makes this task possible, unfortunately the info to make this car is rather poor. The labour involved in making the gullwing is the same in order to make a perfect replica ro to make some modern recreation out of specs. Of course i want to make the nearest possible replica of this dream.
I´m asking for help because all details, from mask to steering wheel (complete), from door latches to handles, from leather interior to tubular frame are things that i can and will do. And perhaps there is a possible partner out there waiting to share or exchange knowledge for finished parts.
Carry on with this art!!

Enzo A. Betinyani Molina
General Manager
Comercializadora Idea Ltda
Santiago
Chile

Go to Top of Page

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - April 24 2006 :  9:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

anybody interested in some pics of the car let me know. i can't figgure out how to get a pic on this page, driving me nuts! the body is in the final stages, and is almost ready for making new molds. i also have pics of the tubular frame. frame is derived from blueprints of actual gullwing frame
frame is designed to adapt any motor/trans combo, and front and rear suspension of your choice. and i know what the next question is, what about hardware????????? door hinges ,trunk hinge, hood hinge ,glass??? well, yes i have it all, no bull! no smoke and mirrors here. i'm going to sell a kit that will fit together and all parts will be available. and i will try to be ready for carlile kit car show next month. if there is any questions please e-mail me. i will be more than happy to answer any questions. or even if you want to come on down to check me out if you think i'm B.S., i will be even more happy to show you in person! thanks, Big Al

Here are Als pics.....

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  06:21:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kitcarguy, much appreciated!!

Go to Top of Page

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  07:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is that a sebring in the back?

www.kitcar.wsGo to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  11:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it's not, it's a gullwing kit in the process of being painted

Go to Top of Page

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  5:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok ... i dont know where I got that from . I buess the bug eyes throw me off...lol

kitcarguy

535 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  5:44:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh ok ... i dont know where I got that from . I buess the bug eyes throw me off...lol

Crotty

USA
44 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any pricing details on the car progressing in Germany? Will you provide turn-key cars as well as kits?

Nice work - thanks for posting the photos.

Go to Top of Page

enzo

Chile
40 Posts
Posted - April 25 2006 :  10:42:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot, the pics are nice, is the dash almost complete?
Is it glassfiber only?

EnzoGo to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 26 2006 :  12:07:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not in germany, that was just a goof. i'm in connecticut, lol. at this point i don't think i want to go the route in selling turnkey cars. at least not at this point in time. i really want this to be a quality kit. it's very labor intensive at this point getting the body perfect, so when i make kits it will fit together. i'm preparing the body so all the gaps will be perfect and i'm not thinking of selling you a kit all in pieces. all the body pannels such as doors hood trunk are inner and outer pieces. i want to laminate and possibly pre-hang the doors trunk and hood. so that i know when you get it, there is nothing that can come back and bite me in the butt. i really want people to be able to finnish it once they get it. that is the most important thing! it really is about quality not quantity.

Go to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - April 26 2006 :  12:13:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to answer enzos question the dash will be fiberglass. it's a 2 piece dash, the face pannell will be removeable like the original, so you can work behind dash without removing it all.

Go to Top of Page

enzo

Chile
40 Posts
Posted - April 28 2006 :  11:17:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, please keep us informed and show us a lot of pictures. I´ve just started this project, by the end of may i spect to have the structure made of wood, then i´ll make this car in some fibres, also i´ll be making it in aluminium (perhaps also frame)
br
Enzo

EnzoGo to Top of Page

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - May 01 2006 :  8:53:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
your going to make it of wood? that sounds like alot of work! where do you start , what do you use for a model, thats going to be alot of man hours . well wish you the best of luck. i hope it all works out. maybe next time you come to visit the states on buisness. swing buy connecticut and maybe you can save yourself alot of time and aggrivation, and see what we got going on here. just some food for thaught?

Go to Top of Page

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - May 02 2006 :  10:11:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All you guys out there,

I CAN solve the mystery of the "Gullwing" project - it is now installed in an auto complex in Germany and being readied to be put back into production - both Gullwing and Roadster. All of the parts, tooling, part built cars, etc.,etc. have now been unpacked, sorted, logged and readied for production. The company involved have had a long and enviable history in the replica car industry [ 25 years ] and are one of Germany's major current manufacturers.

They have recently moved to a 5 acres site with all facilities on site to produce cars.

Go to www.gullwing.ch for more details. The site is available in both German and English.

Amongst the stock that was purchased are a number of part complete cars and body / chassis units. There is one Gullwing [ LHD ] and several Roadsters in LHD and RHD.

Initially ALL cars will be fitted with the latest Mercedes 300 / 320 motor /trans packages and will be built to current EU emmission and safety specs. Future plans call for optional Mercedes V8 power.

There are currently two demonstrator cars available for test drive - a RH drive Roadster and a LHD Gullwing.

Items that seem to be causing grief amongst would be replicators, glass, seals, and detail parts are obviously not so much of a cost problem in Germany, although the company will be manufacturing all of the essential parts in house or through their current suppliers.
Primarily the car is aimed at the EU / UK market as they will ONLY be available as a high quality turnkey car - expect ex-works price to be in the region of 120K euros + taxes.
The company has done a deal with a respected supplier of repro and NOS parts to supply them with items - so good is the quality / authenticity of the parts.
The company will welcome visitors for a test drive session at their showrooms/works in Saxony.

However, if that is not convenient, the cars will be in the UK later in the year.

I will be happy to field any queries initially - their English is pretty good, but being UK born - mine is better!

ATB

Manfred

Manfred von HeydaGo to Top of Page

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - May 04 2006 :  04:45:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Guys,
Just read through ALL of the posts [ should have done that first I guess! ] and can tell you that the reports of Tony Ostermeier's death have been greatly exagerated! This seems to have stemmed from a malicious rumour put about last year by a certain gentleman with an axe to grind. Tony was alive and well [ and speaking to us! ] a month or so ago.

I have spoken with the current owners of the ex - Ostermeier project and I have been authorised to provide you with up to date information regarding the current status of the project and the manufacturing schedule. This information will be posted within the next 4-5 days.

However, I can at this stage divulge that 13 containers of parts, tooling, part completed cars, completed bodies and chassis, alloy/epoxy hybrid spray plant [ to produce the alloy skinned bodies ] have been unloaded at the impressive premises of FMS Heyda [ Germany ], and are currently undergoing a thorough check up prior to installing the prduction lines.

Although the company have legal title to the Hooper name, they feel that they have sufficient credibility in their own right and will drop any direct association with it.

The company is keen to hear from any current owners of the Gullwing cars and are in the process of forming a register. Incidentally, for the avoidance of future doubt - "Gullwing" is a registered company and marque name. They are also interested to hear from any previous agents or distributors that may have been in operation in the USA.

The thorny problem of whether or not to supply specialty parts to other end users is currently being discussed.

If someone can tip me the nod about posting pictures - I will do my best!

That's about it for now, I will post a fuller update in the next several days

ATB

Manfred

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - May 05 2006 :  2:36:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
can you immagine all the red tape you would have to go through. the DMV would have a field day!all the shipping hastles to deal with, i have a migrane just thinking about it! everybody is all talk, untill we see solid proof that these guys are building these "gullwing project" cars, it's just talk! whats that saying.......? 0-ya "show me the money" LOL! what are you manfred the spokesperson? these guys don't sprekin se english? all i'm saying is that there are alot of dreamers out there, and only a handfull of people willing to go through what it takes to make a project like this to work. could you immagine how many cars they would have to sell in order to turn a profit? if they get up and running i give them 3 years before the doors get chained up. if somebody is backing them up with money , they are going to want to see returns on thier money.

Go to Top of Page

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  04:36:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Krazyeone - get out of bed the wrong side or something? You seem to be very bitter and twisted about something in your life.

Yes I am the spokesperson - or to put it more correctly the Agent for English speaking markets.

As to "sprekin se english" [ actually that's not German OR English - ahh - must be American ] - really, that kind of taunting went out with the Red Necks and their pick ups - didn't it? Actually Krazyone - judging by your own efforts in grammar and spelling, virtually ALL of the staff in Saxony could give you an English lesson.
But that wasn't why I posted in the first place.

It was more of a courtesy posting to let people know the whereabouts and status of the original Gullwing project - since the question [ and rumours ] had been aired in open forum. Either those enquiries were - genuine, sarcastic, or a means of "ghosting up" interest in new projects. As I am not known as cynical person - I'll assume that they were genuine and as such demand a sensible and genuine response.

The other point of your post seems to be disbelief that anyone other than yourself is capable of creating / running such a project. Bad move my friend, because while you're getting your knickers in a twist over a product being made 3-5000 miles away - we are busy quietly preparing the cars. Also it's a very bad move to disparage a company that you know nothing of. Mohr has been in the auto business for 25 years and produces VERY high quality Cobras, Porsche T6 Roadsters and is just putting the finishing touches to their 550 Spyder and 904. Just as a matter of interest, the pictures that were shown of the semi prepared cars were taken in what - a barn?

Should you, or anyone of the same persuasion wish to - the factory and showrooms are permanently open to visitors and upon making an appointment you can DRIVE the Roadster demonstrator car[ RHD ] and the Gullwing [ LHD]. That's in REAL time right now. Whilst I realise that it's not exactly round the corner, should you find yourself in the UK, Mohr will provide you with a RyanAir return flight ticket [ London Stansted - to Saxony ] where you will be collected from the airport and driven to the works. That also goes for any potential US customers.

Of course there is more work entailed in importing cars to the USA, and to be honest - that is not our prime market. But as ALL of Mohr's products have to comply to VERY strict TUV EU approvals, I don't anticipate that the US market would be a problem.

The demonstrator cars are complete in every aspect and everything is correct and either made from the tooling and jigs that came with the project [ 13 containers ] or is being manufactured in Mohr's own facilities. They have their own GRP and steel fabrication plants, and have just installed state of the art spray and powder coating facilities. Apart from 2 complete demonstrators, there are 2 x RHD semi built cars, 5 LHD bodies and chassis'[ Roadsters] and 1 x LHD Gullwing. All are produced in the Aluminum/Epoxy Hybrid method - which again has been shipped to Saxony and is being installed in the next 6 weeks. Additionally there is sufficient stock - dashboards, bumpers [ steel chromed ], instruments, glass, etc.,etc. to make 12 cars right off the bat.

Apart from the logistical aspect of shipping, unpacking and sorting through 13 container's worth of project, there are certain aspects that require attention for the EU market. ALL items such as glass are either available in Germany at reasonable prices or will be made by Mohr's manufacturers [ including glass ] - and will be even more reasonable. Along with the other items that are being manufactured or retooled- all of the essential parts to complete the cars to a very high standard are readilly available. But then Krazyone, as you have no belief that Mohr has such a project or could remain in business for 3 years [ added to the 25 they have already been in business ]- I guess YOU won't want to be taking advantage of inexpensive quality repro items for your own project?

If someone is willing to either show me how - or alternatively post pictures via proxy, I will be MORE than happy to send the "proof" that you require - whether it's the 3000 sq.ft fully tiled, glass and stainless steel showroom, the 4,000 sq. ft of fully tiled, fully equiped workshops, new spray shop, etc.,etc.- Or the line up of 5 Roadster body / chassis units. Or the cars under future development with Mercedes V8 running gear. Just say the word Krazyone - how much proof would you like? Nevertheless - the sincere offer is there - if you would like to go and visit the workshops / showrooms just let me know and I'LL arrange it for you.

Finally, just so you have some idea of who I am - I've been in the specialty auto industry for 40 years and have been responsible for many designs and have indeed manufactured my own cars. I liaised with Carroll Shelby and RAM Automotive for 3 years whilst they were setting up the "Shelby Approval" of their RAM Cobra replica. In addition to Design / Marketing Consultancy for Mohr, I am currently retained in the same role for Realm Engineering's [ RAM ] Jaguar line of replicas - "C", "D" and XKSS. Please don't tell me you don't believe THEY exist.

ATB and "have a nice day"
Manfred
BTW - good luck with your own project.

krazeyone

USA
102 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  10:21:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i love getting people all worked up, LOL!

Go to Top of Page

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  1:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh,uh - I get it now Krazyone - you are what we call in England a "Wind up merchant" - that's "wind" as in turning a handle, not "wind" blowing across the desert.

And there was me thinking that you were perhaps a professional car designer / manufacturer.

Not sure what your customers expect in the USA, but here in Europe, our customers expect us manufacturers to act with a degree of decorum and professionalism.

However, for all your love of getting people "all worked up" - [ and personally your rantings don't concern me at all ]- you still have not commented on the core offer that was made specifically to you to view our project AND completed cars, either in the flesh [ "solid proof"] or in photos.

Oh yes, just to finalise a reply to your last posting - the answer about how many cars we need to sell to break even - it's six [ given that we're already in business]. And as for "somebody backing us", that's not necessary as I've already stated. We have been in the specialty auto business for 25 years and are completely self funding - even for such a huge undertaking as the Gullwing project.

However, as I previously stated - our core market is Europe and the UK - we have NO intention of actively promoting to the US market.
Reading the posts, it appears that your intention is to sell 4-6 quality turnkey cars a year - and the other guys a similar amount. Surely that's a drop in the Ocean when you consider the potential clientele in the USA - just on the numbers game alone? We are geared up to manufacture 10 of each model per year - and they will ONLY be turnkey [ no kit cars ]. So again, I wish you and the other potential manufacturers all the best in your efforts to produce what you consider to be the "Ultimate" replica, as it's completely illogical to think that even with 3 manufacturers the whole of the USA could be supplied.

BTW - look out for reports on the upcoming "Goodwood Revival" where Sir Stirling Moss will be able to drive our replicas - assuming he is well enough.

There you go Krazyone - see it is possible to communicate with people without having to resort to winding them up or disparaging a company you know nothing about.

Perhaps YOU'D like to let me know how to post pictures to the site?

ATB
Manfred

manfred

Germany
53 Posts
Posted - May 06 2006 :  1:44:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, nearly forgot.

Enzo, making bucks out of wood - are you crazy man - or a masochist? Just do what everyone else does in this industry - buy a body and splash it!

One item that we are in the process of sourcing for manufacture is the original tilt steering wheel - now WE'D be interested in an exchange intertrade deal if you come up with a quality piece at a good price. We can buy NOS here in Germany, but they're not cheap.

Maybe we could then help you with things like glass and such?

ATB
manfred

Topic is 14 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page