"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 15 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (144 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (195 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (177 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (476 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (313 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?
 All Forums
 General Messages
 Mercedes 300 SL gullwing replica/KIt
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Page: 
of 14
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
frenchs

USA
42 Posts
Posted - October 14 2003 :  7:09:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone tell me where to find a kit or turn key replica builder for a Mercedes 300 sl gullwing

frenchs

USA
42 Posts
Posted - October 14 2003 :  7:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a builder out in Gardena Californa who built the replica gullwing named ostermeier...he even had a restaurant called the gullwing back in the mid 90s. I understand he sold the business. I sure hope it wasn't to the toy car manufacturer.

Go to Top of Page

meat

USA
992 Posts
Posted - October 15 2003 :  09:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was Gullwings Unlimited.

There is also Thoroughbred Coach Builders. As I previously posted on another thread:

They have been around for a very long time. I know that the were in another state before moving to Mount Dora, Florida. Curt's site has a negative post about them from 1997, and no newer updates saying that they've mended their ways. That's a pretty big red flag, as Curt is really good about posting any changes in status.

I do like the 300SL Gullwing, but I've never seen one of theirs.

Their website is: www.tbccoach.com/" target="_blank">http://www.tbccoach.com/

(and the pickup truck on their website looks like a model).

Curt's warning is at:
www.kitcar.com/consumeralert/home.html#anchor16311770" target="_blank">http://www.kitcar.com/consumeralert/home.html#anchor16311770

Your pal,
Meat.

Also, there is a member who used to be here but who hasn't posted in awhile who was reportedly starting a kit car company, and the gullwing was one of the cars he was planning on starting. His username is "Crew Chief" and his email is crewbuilder@yahoo.com . Whether or not the company came to fruition or not is unknown; he hasn't posted in awhile.

Hope that gives you some direction, frenchs.

Your pal,
Meat.

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - October 17 2003 :  6:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to one of the cars made by the company in Gardena, nice looking work.http://www.badboyztoyzz.com/56mbgullwing.html

Go to Top of Page

frenchs

USA
42 Posts
Posted - October 24 2003 :  10:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay Sherman,
Thank you for the link, The replica Gullwing car really is hard to tell the difference. This car is made with Mercedes parts and engine as well.I guess the only difference I can see is one is $68,000 and the original is about $300,000 +. I did here of one going for $750,000

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 22 2004 :  07:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am working on a 1954 Mercedes Gullwing kit. As much as I have searched I haven't found anyone else working on such a kit not any sources of parts. Is there anyone on this list who can provide me with any help.

Gregory Walter

Go to Top of Page

REDSIL

USA
38 Posts
Posted - August 02 2004 :  2:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last I heard (1 year ago) Hermann Quint had a complete set of molds to make the Gullwings, 3 complete bodies and all plans and parts list for building them on a shortened Corvette Chassis. BUT he wants $150k for all. Not bad if you want to go in business, but too much to build a car. I have all the info. email me for copies. Better have $150k or he won't talk to you!
Also I have literature from IFG (Int'l. Fiberglass Group) in Calif. that used to make a replica/body & chassis kit. Don't know what happened. i also have literature from Thorobred but went there & couldn't find them. Still looking for a kit/body.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - August 03 2004 :  12:43:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can add a little more to the discussion as I continue to do my research.
A) There was a company in Gardena California that was making kits. I was told it was run by a Tony Ostermeir and that he sold everything or that his investors took all the assets. It would be nice to locate him as I am in need of parts like door hinges, latches, turn indicators, cowl grill etc.

B)Thoroughbred motors in Mt Dora Florida makes the 300SLR kits. There are starting to ramp up for the 300SL however to date they have yet to fabricate some of the items listed above. (I bought my kit from them)

C)Hermann Quint has been making turnkey 300SL for years. He originally used Corvette frames but now uses his own steel frames with a great deal of Mercedes parts (non 300SL parts). I have spoken to him several times and he claims his machines are indistinquishable from original. However that is an overstatemnet. He uses mercedes V-8 motors, automatic transmissions, AC and other goodies. He may do a great job but......

D)Lone Star in texas makes a roadster. No one answers their phone or E-mail

E)Scheib in Germany makes a roadster. Their web site is in German

Go to Top of Page

frenchs

USA
42 Posts
Posted - August 05 2004 :  6:20:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Gullwing, Ostermeir molds were finally purchased as I understand by a builder in Germany after many month in litigation. There is a guy called John Steel that is a builder of the Porsche speedster in West Hollywood.The name of his company JPS Motorsports.www.jps-motorsports.com. He may know how to contact this person.

GOOD LUCK

Go to Top of Page

REDSIL

USA
38 Posts
Posted - August 07 2004 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody know what happened to IFG, 15740 El Prado Rd., Chino, Ca. 91710, (909) 597-4110? I have a packet of literature from them (maybe 10 years old) with what looks like a beautiful body/chassis kit.

Also, Classics International made a kit called the Silver Arrow Gull-Wing, body/chassis kits for $18,540.They were at 423 So. 10th St., Fargo, N.D. 58103, (701)239-8227. Also about 10 years old. Also 1-800-927-8229. What happened to these guys and their molds?

Go to Top of Page

CustomVW

USA
41 Posts
Posted - August 11 2004 :  10:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have pics of your progress?

quote:

I can add a little more to the discussion as I continue to do my research.
A) There was a company in Gardena California that was making kits. I was told it was run by a Tony Ostermeir and that he sold everything or that his investors took all the assets. It would be nice to locate him as I am in need of parts like door hinges, latches, turn indicators, cowl grill etc.

B)Thoroughbred motors in Mt Dora Florida makes the 300SLR kits. There are starting to ramp up for the 300SL however to date they have yet to fabricate some of the items listed above. (I bought my kit from them)

C)Hermann Quint has been making turnkey 300SL for years. He originally used Corvette frames but now uses his own steel frames with a great deal of Mercedes parts (non 300SL parts). I have spoken to him several times and he claims his machines are indistinquishable from original. However that is an overstatemnet. He uses mercedes V-8 motors, automatic transmissions, AC and other goodies. He may do a great job but......

D)Lone Star in texas makes a roadster. No one answers their phone or E-mail

E)Scheib in Germany makes a roadster. Their web site is in German

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - August 15 2004 :  11:25:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one picture stored on my lap-top but it is a real early picture. I will see if I can get a more recent picture. For any of you out there considering a Gullwing replica a little advice. The fiberglass body and a tube frame are the easy part. There are essentially no 300SL spare parts in existance and their is no repro industry. So every little piece becomes a challange and an expensive one at that. So of the 190SL parts will fit. For instance the grill is identical and for $7,500 you can buy one from autohaus. Same for the bumpers (I think) and these are available for about $2,500 each.
So we are not dealing with the Cobra replica industry where there are numerous sources of good quality inexpensive parts. For instance for the door hinges I may end up using a set from a Bricklin.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. John

USA
39 Posts
Posted - August 17 2004 :  8:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the Gullwings in 1960. In 1961, I rode in a Gullwing. In 1974, I just got married, and I found a 1956 Gullwing (in Mt. View, CA) in a dealer lot. I sat in the car and he wanted $4,500 for the car. I did not buy it !!!! and 6-months later...I was divorced. I should have married the CAR and NOT the lady.

In the 1985, I found a REAL RED Gullwing in San Mateo, CA. AWESOME. I have pictures of me and the car.

In 2003, I saw a red Gullwing (replica) in the KIT CAR mag. that was sold in Florida (at a replica dealer store) it looked GREAT. Maybe someone remembers the car/dealer in Florida. Whoever made it/sold may know about 'nother Gullwings. Please keep me informed. Thanks to all. Dr. John

Go to Top of Page

Dr. John

USA
39 Posts
Posted - August 17 2004 :  8:04:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the Gullwings in 1960. In 1961, I rode in a Gullwing. In 1974, I just got married, and I found a 1956 Gullwing (in Mt. View, CA) in a dealer lot. I sat in the car and he wanted $4,500 for the car. I did not buy it !!!! and 6-months later...I was divorced. I should have married the CAR and NOT the lady.

In the 1985, I found a REAL RED Gullwing in San Mateo, CA. AWESOME. I have pictures of me and the car.

In 2003, I saw a red Gullwing (replica) in the KIT CAR mag. that was sold in Florida (at a replica dealer store) it looked GREAT. Maybe someone remembers the car/dealer in Florida. Whoever made it/sold may know about 'nother Gullwings. Please keep me informed. Thanks to all. Dr. John

Go to Top of Page

Dr. John

USA
39 Posts
Posted - August 17 2004 :  8:05:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - August 22 2004 :  07:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have access to my lap top again so if someone can tell me how to add a picture I will send the one picture which I presently have. I had sent a copy directly to Jay Sherman and if need be can send it to other.
I am using one of Gil Loneckers fiberglass bodies and steel frames. I have a 5.0 liter Ford motor from a wrecked 1988 GT mustang. It is mated to a Tremac 5 speed. I have modified the frame and installed a Ford IRS unit from a Supercoupe. The front uses Mustang II components. I went with a power steering rack. If you combine that with the serpentine belts of the later motor there is precious pulley clearnce. I changed the front discs to 11" Granada (from the 9" Mustang II) and have 10.5" discs in the rear. I would like to go with 13" front and 12" rear but I am not yet sure how much I can fit behind a 16" steel wheel. I also have yet to figure out the wheel offsets. At present I have a bunch or 15"junkyard wheels and tires. I have the 5 X 4.5 pattern in front and 5 X 4.25 in rear. I have located a shop that specializes in redrilling the rears. It is on my to do list.
I found a 190SL grill for $750. It needs replating and is missing the lateral bars but still I am real excited to find one for that pprice. I had purchased a 230SL grill and was going to make it fit but now I don't have to. Anyone know where I can get a set of 190SL lateral grill bars cheap?

Go to Top of Page

Kasey

USA
38 Posts
Posted - August 24 2004 :  10:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like to warn everyone out there not to do busines with Thoroughbred Coach Builders. I finally received my body and chassis, but none of the other parts I paid for. I have made repeated attempts to contact them and once I even got Gil Longnecker on the phone and when I said who I was, he hung up and there was no answer the rest of the day when I attempted to call back. I am out thousands of dollars and it's been a year and I now have a body and chassis in the garage that I am probably going to have to sell...If I can find buyer, that is..
I did research on Thoroughbred and I found that this is status quo for them, I even found some people involved in a class action suit against them...
Kasey

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - August 24 2004 :  10:25:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kasey,

What type of kit did you buy from Thoroughbred motors? E-mail me privately. We need to compare notes.

Greg Walter
palmyraer@earthlink.net

Go to Top of Page

Ashe

37 Posts
Posted - August 25 2004 :  7:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived about 20 mins. from Gil Longnecker for years. I've been to Thoroughbred's facility a few times, and he brought some of his demo cars to the local shows. Interestingly enough, if you check Bob's Classics website of recent sales, all of Gil's demo cars have been dumped on him and since sold.

BTW - someone mentioned the red Gullwing. That one went through Bob as well. It was on a shortened C3/Midyear corvette chassis. According to Bob, it went for about $65K to someone in California.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Chambers

USA
45 Posts
Posted - August 29 2004 :  2:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep reading bad things about Thoroughbred Coach Builders. Does anyone out there have anything good to report? Does anyone have a 300SLR kit that was delivered as promised and going together well? I'm particularly interested in using an MB inline 6 cylinder engine and primarily MB components.

Go to Top of Page

nicolas

44 Posts
Posted - August 31 2004 :  3:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can somebody tell me how much the 300sl kit car cost and does somebody know a kit car builder who makes the 300sl roadster and if somebody bought such kit.

thanks

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - September 04 2004 :  03:35:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can send you the price list for the 300SL Gullwing if you like. It starts out at about $15,000 but if you buy most of the components needed to finish it more like $22,000. Those parts are the real problem as you can't really build the gullwing without the windshield and rear window. Yes you can try to fabricate a lot of the parts and a lot of parts can be bought from 190SL suppliers but it starts getting pricey fast. What I am hoping is that someone out there will step up, step in and start making gullwing replicas. There is a huge market and now there are at least a few replicas that someone can pull molds from. The problem in the past was to find someone with a $250 300SL that was willing to completely disassemble it to allow you to pull a mold.

Go to Top of Page

grotius

37 Posts
Posted - September 26 2004 :  3:59:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Someone interested in a ready to drive 300SL Gullwing from Gullwing Cars?

Car is finished in grey-blue metallic with light grey leather interior. Engine is a M110 with double camshaft and Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection. Coupled at the engine is a fourspeed stickshift from Mercedes-Benz.

Car has only done a near 10.000 miles and is in a immaculate condition. It is at the moment for sale in Europe.

Go to Top of Page

KitcarUSA

78 Posts
Posted - September 27 2004 :  03:24:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any links to pictures of the car?

Cheers, John

www.*********.com

Go to Top of Page

nicolas

44 Posts
Posted - October 08 2004 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found an other gullwing replica builder. He's in the UK and the website is www.hooperandco.com
Price? does not fit my budget.
But the pictures are interested for those who are building one. especialy the chassis.

Where can I find parts for interior and exterior for a gullwing or roadster? thanks for the help

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - October 09 2004 :  10:00:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you contact anyone from Hooper & Co.? Sounds like they only sell rolling chasis like Herman Quint in Conn. Maybe they will share information as to their source for parts. They say they get their glass from the original supplier in Germany. That is interesting because that has been a problem with the other kits.
There is a Mercedes resources center in Stuttgart Germany that claims to have or can "remanufacture from the original blueprints" most any part for any early Mercedes. I haven't contacted them yet but I am told that if you have to ask the cost then you caan't afford the part!

Go to Top of Page

nicolas

44 Posts
Posted - October 09 2004 :  11:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can interior parts for a roadster be used from the mercedes sl pagode (113 series)?

Go to Top of Page

jaysherman

139 Posts
Posted - October 11 2004 :  8:43:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had heard that this was the company that got the remains of Tony Austomeyer's company in California. Lone Star Classics makes a Roadster 300sl. They are in Texas. I recently visited the shop. Did not get to see the 300sl but saw a nice corvette.

Go to Top of Page

nicolas

44 Posts
Posted - October 12 2004 :  4:23:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lone star classis 300sl is not what I'm looking for and they use no original or reproduction parts. Their kit looks ugly. I'm looking for something that's for visual 95% close to original, appart from engine and suspension.
For somebody who looks for original bumpers (front and rear). Look at ebay in Germany. Only 800 Euro

Go to Top of Page

bmcclean

United Kingdom
37 Posts
Posted - October 14 2004 :  2:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for a Gullwing and as I am in Engalnd Europe is better than the USA.

Can you let me know more about it.

quote:

Someone interested in a ready to drive 300SL Gullwing from Gullwing Cars?

Car is finished in grey-blue metallic with light grey leather interior. Engine is a M110 with double camshaft and Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection. Coupled at the engine is a fourspeed stickshift from Mercedes-Benz.

Car has only done a near 10.000 miles and is in a immaculate condition. It is at the moment for sale in Europe.

Go to Top of Page

nicolas

44 Posts
Posted - October 19 2004 :  4:02:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,

I have contacted the seller and the price is only 129,000 Eurosand it is in Holland right now.
Included 2 nice pieces of luggage.
It does not fit my budget! yours?

Go to Top of Page

Topic is 14 Pages Long:
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10
 11 12 13 14

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page