"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 74 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (148 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (199 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (181 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (481 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (317 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Messages
 Gullwing Replica Radiator
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Julian Head

24 Posts
Posted - March 18 2014 :  8:40:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am new to the forum and I am building a replica gullwing that I believe is the last body that was made by Thoroughbred in Florida. At present, it is a chassis with suspension and drivetrain, and the body sitting on it. I have either gathered, or have located all the parts that I need with the exception of a few. On the list of parts that I still need are the radiator, grill surround and star, and carpet set. Does anyone have any good ideas on what radiator to use? My engine is a Chevy 350 with an automatic T4 tranny, and the car has AC. Thoughts?

dan2

54 Posts
Posted - April 01 2014 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julian go over to the 300sl gullwing forum

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 29 2014 :  1:23:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Julian

with regard to the radiator you can go several ways. You can go to an on-line site that sells radiators. Find a radiator from a Chevy that has a 350 cubic inch engine then check that the water intake match your (is the top hose on left, middle or right) is the top hose the same OD that yours is. Then check the dimensions height, width and depth. The radiator I got was from Gil. It was from a Chevy. I could look for a serial number if you want. What I found was the height was limited but depth and width are very large so most any radiator will fit. The lower hose is critical but the upper hose can be way off and you can still make a hose fit. In my case I put a Ford small block in.
I needed an adapter to go 2 1/2 to 2" or something like that. I had to change the water pump. The better approach is go to a radiator shop have them get you a core (brass vs aluminium) that matches your cars dimensions. They could then attach an upper and lower tank with the hose in the right location. Essentially build you a custom radiator. I probably won't be as expensive as you think. They have catalogues with these items and order them and solder them together. Radiator sops often have to re-core a leaky radiator or replace a leaky header tank.

Go to Top of Page

gullwing

New Zealand
150 Posts
Posted - July 29 2014 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with regard to gill surround ad star. There are two or more companies that make the grill surround and horizontal stars for a 190SL. They sell chromes steel or stainless steel. Cost aint cheap $900 versus $1000. I think they are called the Harrington group. Repro 190SL stars are sold by a 190SL restoration parts supplier (Our190SL or something like that. I can check my notes. The barrel however you need to get a used one from a 190SL.
Having said that you should know that the 190SL, 300SL gullwing and 300SL roadster all had different surrounds, horizontal bars, stars and barrels. No one but a 300SL expert would know. I have an articles from the Gullwing owners club showing the difference. In a nut shell. The upper lip of the 190SL surround is 2" deep, the lower 3 1/2". You can trim this off but then you need to rechrome or paint the cut edge to keep it from rusting.
The 300SL has the back of the barrel notched to clear the hood edge. You can easily notch the 190SL or not no one will notice.
I still don't know if the barrel is supposed to be flat black versus chromed so anyone who knows please chime in.
The stars- if you look closely at the perimeter rim it is pentagonal in its cross section. The 300SL is triangular or something like there. And then there is the rare concave stars.
When you get a surround make a fiberglass surround around it. Cut the hole and bond the new surround in. You will have a perfect fit and now the car has a nice lip to mount the grill.
The screen is easy. There is grating that is "expanded steel". It has diagonal holes in it. The diamonds need to be oriented vertically not horizontally (check this)

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000