"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 68 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (115 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (167 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (150 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (442 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (283 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Messages
 Feathering and shaping compound
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Jackal

South Africa
41 Posts
Posted - May 10 2011 :  12:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys.

I have a question for all the car builders out there. I have done my wood structure and foamwork (polyurethane) One of my headaches after that was what to use to apply for sanding and feathering.

I initially used a construction filler but that didn't work great. I went over to a automobile filler which again wasn't the right thing. My latest method is resin, hardner and Telcum powder which I mix into a thick paste. This so far has worked the best. Still sanding is not that easy and I'm sure there must be more suitable recipes out there for a compound easy to apply, shape and sand. Your thoughts and ideas are appreciated.

Cheers
Jackal

Jackal

South Africa
41 Posts
Posted - May 12 2011 :  03:51:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS! Looks like there isn't much activity like yesteryear....

Anyway to update on my progress.

I'm an impulsive bugger. Yesterday I saw the pics of the Jota and decided that my Murcie should have some Jota features.... So saw, hammer etc. and about 20 minutes later my left side of my prop was hacked open... Built my new intakes out of ply wood and runners (well the lefthandside anyway) Tonight I'm fitting it and hopefully will be foaming it as well. Then for the right side.

Cheers
Jackal

Go to Top of Page

Rick

USA
212 Posts
Posted - May 19 2011 :  6:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the issue is that most of the folks on here aren't familiar with what's available in South Africa in terms of auto body materials. An overall filler that's easily sanded is stuff called Featherfill or Slick Sand, both from Evercoat. The featherfill is a two part polyester filler meant to do what you are looking for. You'll have to check with a local auto paint jobber to see what's available. The resin and talcum mix is going to be problematic - there isn't anything to "support" the resin, and eventually it will start to shrink and crack.

Go to Top of Page

ricaluanna

USA
37 Posts
Posted - June 07 2011 :  6:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much will it cost to have and overall filler?

rica g luannaGo to Top of Page

Jackal

South Africa
41 Posts
Posted - November 09 2011 :  07:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Rick.

Thanx buddy. I will have a look at those products. Maybe it's available here.

As far as the talc and resin goes. So far no cracking. Works great BUT sanding stays a bitch. So I will definately look up those suggested products or equivalents. Thanx again.

Cheers
Jackal.

P.S. If anyone is interested in my build. All the photos are on facebook. Look up Derek Bollmann and request 'to be a friend'

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000