"" aLink="red" vLink="red" background="/base/images/misc/background-001.gif" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">

KitCars.com
KIT CARS FOR SALE POST AN AD POST A LINK COMMERCIAL ADVERTISINGCONTACT US
Classified AdsSearchLinksForums

PLEASE VISIT OUR SPONSORS BELOW! - THEY ALL SUPPORT KITCARS.COM

A 90 day ad on KitCars.com costs only $1 and there are 11 users on site right now, click here to sell your car
Last Five Ads Posted
Alloy-bodied Bugatti Type 37 replica (224 views)
355 replica interior for Fiero (262 views)
1976 Blakely Bearcat Fiberglass Kit car (254 views) +
Ferrari koenig competition in and out body molds (562 views) +
1939 Bugatti Custom replica (387 views)
read more kit car ads...
KitCars.com Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Messages
 Manta Mirage Pricing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly

Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
sulla

37 Posts
Posted - January 29 2005 :  8:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I happened to find a Manta Mirage today. I stoped to see what it was thinking it was another VW kitcar. But when I stoped and looked I noticed it was made for a v8 and had a tube frame. So I got the name off of the car and came home and looked it up. Any way it seems like it would be a fun project but I need to have some idea of pricing etc.

The car is missing the motor and transaxel or atleast they are not in the car at the moment and I have not talked to the owener. The car looks like it has the original mags wheels and I think most of the parts are there. But it looks like its missing the side "glass" on both sides. Needs new interior and I am sure breaks rebuilt and probobly 1000 other things I can only know after really going over it. Also it looks like the front glass is taped in at the moment:) So any way how much is a basket case like this worth and now much would a running one go for?

pantera

USA
310 Posts
Posted - January 30 2005 :  7:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im guessing around 10k or more probably it depends if you want the orginal parts on the car like the day it was first built. Now if i was you then i would b looking into the after market world(expect for the glass) im sure you can find parts for the interior of the car that way and the best part is they aren to expensive. Plus it gives your car a great look and its upgraded. the problem is you may have to modifei parts for them to fit.

Rims you can give your car that "bling" it needs just by going to any tire shop finding some after market rims that will fit. Perhaps some new tires as wheel.

as for the engine and trains there are so many diffrent kinds of setups. I have seen the LS1 backed by a G50 trany. LT1 with a 911 trany it depends on what you want i recomend chating with some lambo builders
at www.kitcentral.com and asking them about engine and trans. im sure they will not mind helping out.

I Hope it helps you out a bit.

why are repilcas so expensive?!Go to Top of Page

jspbtown

95 Posts
Posted - January 31 2005 :  11:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are alot of things to consider when looking at a Mirage. Here are some hints.
1. Is it a VW or mustang front end? The Mustang front ends are vastly superior in both ride and handling...as well as aftermarket parts (springs, bushings etc). Also, most if not all of the Mustang are the extended wheelbase cars which is good.
2. Whats your foot size? My 11 1/2 feet were amazing tight in the footwells. probably better in the long wheel based cars. You may need to do some adjustments to the footwells to make your feet fit.
3. Don't put anything other then a small block chevy into it. The cars weigh only about 1900lbs and anything else is just overkill for any type of regular useage. Cooling system needs to be top notch just to get a regular motor cooled, so anything else requires significant $$ to upgrade. Also, exhaust is custom so $$ for that if not included.
4. On the stock Mirages the coolant ran through the frame rails. Check for rot. If the car has been sitting you may have to get the frame dipped, or run new coolant lines from front to back.
5. The tranny most often used is the Corvair unit. they will not take much abuse and snapping an input shaft 9there are hardened ones available) or cracking the case is common place with HARD launches. use common sense and they will last with the right components. If the chassis is a roller you probably still have the corvair trailing arms and springs. Upgrading to a different tranny requires fabrication.
6. Interior is nothing more then a padded peice of vinyl. Theree are so seat adjustments per se.
7. Glass is custom, and I think still available through Dave Savage and Warp 5. it is costly tho.
8. Shifter sucks! Some people get a cable shifter set up. That requires fabrication, and apparently helps alot.
9. Brakes: You NEED at least front discs. 4 wheel discs are better, but the corvair drums will do OK.
10. Value: I sold my 1981 for about $15000 and it had about 200 miles on it. Some go for $35K but they are crazy examples finished to perfection. The car is rare, and they don't come up often, but they don't seem to go for a ton when done. It's tough to get $20k for a no power steering, rough riding 2o year old car. you can get a nice late model A/C'd Vette for that. if it is a Mustang based car, with most components (including engine and tranny) then the $10k is OK...if alot is missing I would say $5k-$7k. Remember, if it needs bodywork and paint thats more $$$.

Go to Top of Page

mantacars

127 Posts
Posted - February 04 2005 :  4:37:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sulla,

"pantera" (189 posts) apparently knows nothing about the Manta Mirage and his advice is of little value. On the other hand, "jspbtown" (17 posts), who has actually owned a Manta Mirage, offers a wealth of valuable advice for you to consider.

Only additional, preliminary advice that I might offer is to carefully inspect paperwork that will be transferred upon sale of the Mirage. Has the vehicle been titled and registered in the past? Does the vehicle have an assigned VIN#? If so, process of updating title and pursuing registration will be much easier, dependent upon your state of residence. If vehicle has never been titled, then it is extremely important that "original manufacturer documentation" from Manta be available, in addition to the "bill of sale" and receipts for all parts. If you attempt to obtain initial title without all specific documentation required by your state DMV, the process can be long and arduous. Also, be aware that a kitcar that has never been titiled will have to pass mechanical inspection by your state DMV or state police, prior to registration.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

dario

37 Posts
Posted - February 11 2005 :  08:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good luck with your manta montage im still looking for one at least a body im in new new york its just so hard to get my hands on one of this cars this is my first time doing a kit car and i cant wait i allready started working on a chassi , so if anyone out there knows of a manta cheap please help me out thank you ....

Go to Top of Page

pantera

USA
310 Posts
Posted - February 12 2005 :  03:03:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]
sulla,

"pantera" (189 posts) apparently knows nothing about the Manta Mirage and his advice is of little value.

Well exuse me for not being perfect!.

why are repilcas so expensive?!Go to Top of Page

Fast Fred

USA
37 Posts
Posted - March 03 2005 :  12:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have mirage that was started in 1978 and finnished in 1982. Car has 400 (undocumented) hp and volkswagen front axle with disc brakes and corvair transaxle. These cars are great fun as they turn heads and look, smell and feel great. Keep looking to find parts. Your car, without engine and trans can be made whole with regard to these parts for less than 5K. Comments made about frame with coolant in it are right on, but if the one you are looking at has never been driven you should be OK. Windshield from Warp 5 2 years ago was approximately 600. Don't know about side window costs, but car is claustrophobic with doors in place. Plan on driving it without top/doors in place. email me with any live with it kind of questions.

Go to Top of Page

blewsmoke

USA
37 Posts
Posted - March 03 2005 :  02:47:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I owned a Manta Mirage from early '84 to late '86 after turning just 22 and needless to say had a blast with it. At the time I lived in Costa Mesa and then Newport Beach about 4 miles from Manta's original "factory" (it was more like a huge garage). I drove it a lot (over 20k miles in under 3 yrs) and regret the hell out of selling it, but I learn (sometimes). I can also attest to the things that jspbtown says, so you've got at least 2 data points to go by.

Anyway, here's my 3 cents on things to consider based on my experience:

- Cooling was a problem. Mine had 2 series-connected radiators from a Vette and a Mustang (now that I think about it they probably should have been parallel-connected), plus an oil cooler and THREE fans. . . . and it still got borderline overheated on any day above 80 degrees if I wasn't cruising along freeway style. The side scoops look nice but they're essentially worthless for cooling at low speed.

- Power was a 350 out of a '70 Camaro with the only smog thingies being a PCV valve and thermostatic air cleaner, a modified cam, stock rated 300 hp, so I'd guess maybe 330 hp. Anyway, this land rocket would climb steadily to about 90 mph, then wham !!!! it gets on the power curve and goes into hyperdrive. . . . right past the vettes, porsches and farrareees whose drivers just assumed it was another dub kit :-) It was actually more fun saying "bye bye" to all the muscle car guys, because they were always good for a little speed action - After getting blown off the road they probably cowered away with excuses, 'cause they were often with their chick friend hee hee :-)) Pure juvenile ecstacy.

- The one thing that will boost the value of a Mirage more than anything else is a good sturdy trans. This is the standard Mirage's weak link and will prevent you from getting on the pedal at all. Mine had the typical Corvair setup - forget that. Even after making a habit of always starting from 2nd gear, I went through 3 input shafts (one of them custom made and heat-treated) and I drove it real gingerly, definitely wasn't a lead foot. If you can find a deal, put a ZF (Pantera) trans in it, or I've heard the more affordable way is with a Toronado. The guy I sold it to said he was going to put a Jag ?!? tranny in it - OK, to each his own.

- I had a Ghia front end and the thing felt like it had no springs or cushion whatsoever - obviously rock solid though, as you'd guess. . . . .if you don't mind having a few teeth shaken out of your head. Wide front tires, especially low-profile ones, will just worsen the effect.

- The headlights were a joke 'cause they didn't have any lifter mechanism and I couldn't afford to retrofit anything commercially available. I just doohickeyed this manually-operated locking arm gizmo - Everytime I needed lights on, I'd have to climb out, reach under the body, prop up the lights and go. Like I said, a joke.

- This might seem like a luxury but it's actually a necessity - A front-end lifter. The Mirage's front end is so low and sticks forward so far that it will scrape on any moderately sloped driveway. Lifters are common on tricked-out cars so maybe they're not too pricey, I don't know, but it's still something that's required. I had a pneumatic system, just a 12V air pump feeding into air-adjustable shocks and controlled with a simple toggle switch. Could probably also have done it with engine vacuum thru a solenoid valve.

- My clutch pedal was so stiff that my left leg got a workout every drive. I think this was due to the clutch being overly heavy duty combined with poor lever ratios and short pedal travel. Anyway, something to try before you buy. And speaking of ergonomics, if you're over 6' tall, it won't be a comfortable ride (it won't be anyway, but that's not what Mirages are for) which should be expected for a mid-engine car that's 39" high at its highest point.

- Insurance is another thing - I can't remember the name of the outfit I had, but they specialized in "special reconstructed" vehicles and the rates were very reasonable; almost as cheap as my regular car rates.

- Last suggestion - If you're not mechanically-inclined or afraid to get a little dirty, don't get a Mirage unless you're willing to pay Manny the Mechanic to do everything. But with some basic mechanical sense, they're wide open and easy as dirt to work on.

Hope that helps.Go to Top of Page

kitcarguy15

199 Posts
Posted - April 06 2005 :  10:20:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any pics?

Go to Top of Page

fdp70

37 Posts
Posted - April 23 2005 :  6:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Dario
how cheap is cheap. i have recently got my hands on a good manta montage with interior, just needs frame and motor, now i just went and bought a buddys vw bug, and i had plan to merge the two, however, i found that the bettle is in great shape and i hate to see that body go to waste,so, it may be easy to get that montage body off my hands, just let me know if your intrested?

Go to Top of Page

jspbtown

95 Posts
Posted - April 24 2005 :  8:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey fdp70, email me about your Montage @ jspbtown@aol.com

Go to Top of Page

EK2002

Australia
37 Posts
Posted - August 03 2010 :  03:58:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have just got my hands on a 1983 manta mirage No.468 from the USA shipped it all the way to Australia battled with Govt dept to get it in the country , picked it up unpacked all the boxes and there are no door hinges or door locks . What have the other owner used for these? to keep it all together and where can I get a cable linkage kit for the gear shift it has the corvair rear with chev 350 it does need a total rebuild. so I will be posting questions for advice and tips. I have down loaded the build manual and been looking for any info that can give me any ideas and help on how to. There are some very nice cars on the mirage registry at www.mantacars.com

Go to Top of Page

New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

KitCars.com Forums

Aardvark Solutions

Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000